What is Contact Dermatitis?
Contact DermatitisContact dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by direct contact with an irritating substance like poison ivy or perfumes. These substances are most commonly chemicals but occasionally by biologic or physical elements. Contact dermatitis can cause irritation and inflammations that may include, red rash, bumps or a burn-like rash on the skin, Itchy, painful or burning skin and/or blisters and draining fluid.
There are two types of Contact Dermatitis:
Irritant contact dermatitis, the most common type, occurs when people touch an irritant they’re sensitive to.
Allergic contact dermatitis, occurs when people touch something they’re allergic to, allergens like cosmetics, detergents, and latex. We now offer patch testing to identify the allergens.
Common allergens associated with contact dermatitis include:
- Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac
- Other plants
- Nickel or other metals
- Antibiotics, especially those applied to the surface of the skin (topical)
- Rubber or latex
- Fabrics and clothing
- Fragrances, perfumes
- Other chemicals and substances
What are treatment options for Contact Dermatitis?
The best treatment for this condition is to identify and avoid the allergen or irritant that causes inflammation. For the symptoms themselves, treatments in mild cases include cool compresses and nonprescription lotions and ointments. When the symptoms are severe, corticosteroids applied to the skin or taken orally are used. Contact dermatitis that leads to a bacterial skin infection is treated with antibiotics.
Call or click here to schedule a consultation with one of our physicians.
Oakbrook Terrace – (630) 758-0470.
Rockford – (815) 329-6180